When it comes to decorating, many homeowners assume that hiring a home decorator would be too expensive. But a decorator’s services are often more affordable than you think.
Is a professional decorator the right choice for you? The answer depends on many things, and what works for one person may not be the right choice for another.
First, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I feel comfortable choosing colors that work well together?
- Do I feel competent to handle any sewing or reupholstering tasks, or learning those skills?
- Will I have the time to devote to every aspect of the redecorating?
- Am I comfortable hiring and managing other professionals to handle the tasks I can’t do?
- Am I confident in my sense of style, and do I already have a vision of what I want the completed room to look like?
The Pros of DIY
- You can keep a close eye on the costs.
- You don’t need to have the house looking perfect all the time for a decorator’s visit.
- You know exactly what you like.
- If you’re on a tight budget and have plenty of time, you can refinish furniture at a fraction of the cost of buying new.
- You can take advantage of yard sale finds, thrift stores, clearance fabrics, and paint from the “oops” paint bin.
- If you have a crafty friend or relative, they may be willing to help out for free or barter their services.
The Pros of Interior Designers
- They can help maximize your space and make it more useful for how you live.
- They know colors like the back of their hand, and they won’t make the costly mistake of poor color choices.
- They have resources and relationships with craftsmen, contractors, painters, and upholsterers, and they know who does the best work and is reliable.
- Designers may have access to special furniture showrooms that sell to designers only, so you can have unique pieces instead of chain store furniture.
- They know the kind of furniture and fabrics that are made to last, which saves you money in the long run.
Before you decide to take on the redecorating yourself, do your research, and be honest with yourself about whether or not you’re up to the challenge of performing every decorating task and decision on your own. Make sure you truly have the time and patience for it, and that others in your household do as well.
Likewise, before hiring a home decorator, be sure to consider how others in your household will feel about it. If your husband doesn’t like strangers around or your dog has accidents every time there is chaos or change in the household, a professional decorator may not be for you. If you do hire someone, make sure that the designer’s tastes don’t clash with yours, and be clear in your needs and your expectations up front, especially in regard to the budget. Check out the designer’s portfolio or website gallery before meeting with them.
The decision of whether to hire a designer or do it yourself is a big one, but it comes down to your hopes, your expectations, and your needs and the needs of your household. Whichever choice you make, remember that the goal is always to have a lovely home that makes you happy.